There are a number of levers that can support the commissioning of shared decision making and self-management support. For example:
Establish the national standard but allow innovation:
- NHS Standard Contract (particulars and general clauses).
- Primary care contracts.
- Tariff business rules.
- NICE Quality Standards.
Measure, baseline and publish data
- Quality Accounts
- Care Data
- Quality Standard Indicators
Implement well designed incentives
- CQUIN – for example, Islington CCG have an Integrated Care CQIN with a self-care component
- NHS Standard Contract (Local incentives)
- Quality and Outcomes Framework – for example in 2013/14 South Tyneside CCG used the Quality and Productivity element of QOF indicators, applied to secondary care outpatient referrals (Q&P 1-3)
- Enhanced Service – for example, Islington CCG have incentivised GPs by providing funding for longer consultations for care planning
Maintain improvement and set the new norm:
- NHS Standard Contract (National sanctions)
- NHS Standard Contract (Local sanctions)
- Primary care contracts
- National and local sanctions
QUESTION: What commissioning levers have you used or might you use locally?
- Do you have any examples that we could use?
Post your comments in the box below.