Helping Patients Help Themselves: How to Implement Self-Management Support
This report defines self-management support and gives case studies of early adopters in the USA. It describes telephone based models and behavioural health models and sets out some key steps in successfully implementing self management support.
- training for staff who provide self management support and the entire team
- the payment system
- education of senior leadership
- protected time for clinicians and others to provide self management support
- team structure
- primary care / behavioural health integration that better enables primary care practices toa ddress the barriers to health behaviour change
- self management support to be included in nursing and medical curriculam.