Self-Management Support: is it evidence-based?
This presentation describes the core elements of effective self management support, including agenda setting, goal setting and follow up with patients.
Dr Bodenheimer is a widely recognised expert in self management support. This presentation defines self management and self management support, briefly sets out the evidence for its effectiveness in different conditions. It describes what is involved in each of the components of self management support which it lists as:
- Provide information
- Intensive skills training (disease specific)
- Encouraging healthy behavior change
- Teach patients problem-solving skills
- Assisting patients with psychosocial issues and the emotional impact of having a chronic condition
- Provide ongoing and regular follow-up
- Encourage and train patients to become active participants in their care