Technology enabled care services: Resource for commissioners
The Technology Enabled Care Services Resource for Commissioners has been developed by NHS commissioners to identify practical tools that can help maximise the value of technology enabled care services for patients, carers, commissioners and the whole health economy. It is intended to support all commissioners of health and care services, including NHS England, clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) and local authorities and providers of health and social care.
The toolkit will also be of interest to people working in partnership and providing support to commissioners, including health and wellbeing boards, Commissioning Support Units (CSUs) and providers of health and social care, who have plans for TECS and wish to seek support from their commissioner.
The toolkit provides practical tools to help commissioners and their delivery partners to:
- Select, procure, deploy and measure TECS effectively totransform care pathways and deliver the most appropriate care for patients.
- Map, understand and harness the potential of resources already available within the local health economy.
- Implement local innovation and commissioning practices that are responsive to rapid advances in technology and enable increasing digital maturity.
The advice in this toolkit aligns with the steps in a typical commissioning cycle. It tackles the following questions:
- How can commissioners maximise the benefits of TECS toachieve levels of ambition in improved social care and healthoutcomes, particularly in preventing and managing chronicillness, effectively sustaining independence as people age andaverting admission to acute and institutional care?
- How can TECS be used to meet the changing needs of currentand future patients and their carers?•How can TECS support new models of care that delivertransformation in quality and efficiency?
- How can TECS enable a commissioning model that empowers patients and citizens to manage their own care in a way thatbest suits them?
- What opportunities does TECS present in the commissioning and delivery of primary care?How will this toolkit help me?TECS can help deliver NHS, local authority and voluntary and independent sector services more effectively and efficiently.
The toolkit equips commissioners to:
- Be aware of the wide range of TECS available, how they support commissioning intentions, and the benefits they can bring to patients, commissioners, families, health and care professionals and provider managers.
- Collaborate with their provider communities to unlock the potential of TECS in supporting continuous improvement in the quality of care.
- Set the TECS strategy in their locality, oversee and scrutinise TECS implementation plans, ask the right questions to seek assurance, provide focused advice and guidance on delivery and ensure effective evaluation.